Friday, October 10, 2008

Are you ever ready?

Last night we had the opportunity to meet up with my cousin Kelly and her husband Matt. They are expecting their first child in January. We're very excited for them. As fellow parents - - I think it's easy to get excited when others join the club so to speak.

Kelly reminds me so much of myself just two years ago -- before Chris and I had kids. I had never changed a diaper, really didn't feel comfortable around babies, and I had no clue what to do to be a good mother.

As she was expressing those same feelings last night - - I gave her the proverbial "it'll just come to you naturally" line that I was often agitated about when I was pregnant the first time! But I guess it is true and now that I've lived through it - - there really seems like no other way to describe it other than that. No matter how many books you read, or people you talk to, or how many TLC shows you watch - - you can never really feel ready. But despite all that - it does work itself all out.

I guess the same has been true for Aubrey and her Angelman Syndrome. Just as no one seems to feel ready for parenthood in general - - no one is ever ready to be a parent of a disabled child. And once the diagnosis comes and all the articles have been read, the advice has been mulled over, and the therapies begin -- you're still not "ready." But that's okay too. I realized last night that the same message I gave to Kelly about her apprehensions of welcoming a newborn into their lives I need to remind myself of - - "it'll just come to you naturally"

Kelly and Matt will be great parents and they will beautifully navigate through the joys and trials that parenthood brings just as Chris and I will continue to be great parents to Aubrey and Molly - no matter what their differences may be.

So while you may never be fully "ready" at least it's comforting to know that you can still be okay!

That's all for now.

PS - - Kelly and Matt - it was so great to see you last night. I can't wait to see if it's a boy or a girl!

No comments: