Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Did I fail to mention.....

So - I've been SO bad at updating this blog lately!

Chris and I both have new positions at Union Pacific and Aubrey's therapy schedule is back in full swing after summer - so it's been extra crazy for us!

But - I am a horrible mom for not bragging right away on our blog about Aubrey's first steps...that's right I said steps (plural). It was on Wed August 26th at about 8:00 pm!

Here's my description that I wrote that night of the event:

**********************************************************************************
So Aubrey just made a huge break through tonight and I had to share! She was "playing" aka chewing on a big box of diapers we just bought from Costco. As I was opening the box up to get the diapers out - she got really excited.

Of course - she loves chewing on plastic WAY more than mere cardboard! Anyway - I turned the moment into practicing one of our PT drills. I placed her up with her back against the wall and had the plastic bag of diapers just out of reach to entice her step forward.....and she did! 5 real steps! I almost couldn't believe it so we did it again -and she took another 5 steps on her own. I gave her a breather as we hugged her, clapped for her, and cried. She got extra excited and seemed to "get" that she just did something special - which made me cry more :)

We tried one more time - and she actually took 9 consecutive steps!! It was on the 4th attempt it dawned on us to try and get it on video -but by then either fatigue set in or the allure of the diapers had faded - so no video yet - but I hope this isn't an isolated event and we can get some in the next couple of days!!! Video or Not - It was AWESOME especially since both Chris and I were there to see it!

I wouldn't classify her as a "walker" yet by any means but for the first time during this journey - I KNOW and believe that Aubrey will walk functionally one day (maybe even sooner than later!) I couldn't say that last year, last month or even last week. She's proven once again that she can do more than we expect!!
***********************************************************************************

As a follow up - I'm happy to report that Aubrey took another 9 steps on Friday Sept 11th at daycare and has taken 1-2 steps here and there over the last 2 weeks.

Her confidence and balance is getting better and better!

2 comments:

Schauss Family Happenings said...

Congratulations! How wonderful...way to go Aubrey.

Kristin said...

Yay, Aubrey!! So proud of you! That's awesome!