Monday, April 20, 2009

Great Weekend - Wedding and Met another Angel

This was a great weekend.

It started with my sister's wedding in Beresford, SD. It was so fun to see all my family and old friends and even better to see my little sister marry the man of her dreams.

CONGRATS to Mara and Nate Seier!!

We then capped off the perfect weekend by meeting another family with a child with Angelman Syndrome.

We had the pleasure of meeting Andria and Bart and their adorable angel - Kamaray (Kammy they call her). Kammy is just 2 months younger than Aubrey, however they just learned about her diagnosis about a month ago.

Andria found me on Facebook. I know her younger sister because she danced for USD. When they were all home for Easter her sister told her about me and Aubrey and encouraged her to send me a note! She did - and I called and talked to her for about 2 hours last weekend. WHAT A SMALL WORLD! For AS to be SO rare and have this connection through dance - CRAZY!

Anyway - they live in South Sioux City - so we thought it would be perfect for us to meet them on our way back from the wedding - and it was!

It was wonderful seeing Kamaray and hearing their tips, tricks, and diagnosis story. Kamaray - is very calm and steady - we were so impressed with this!!! She has just recently taken 3 unassisted steps = = so she is officially a ROCK STAR in our eyes!! But everything is so relative - and each child has their own strengths. They were so impressed with Aubrey's ability to feed herself and her willingness to eat any food and texture. Hopefully they will be good influences on each other - - Kamaray can get Aubrey up an walking and Aubrey can help her with her food aversions!!!

It was also so surreal to see how much they look alike. Kammy and Aubrey look more like sisters than Aubrey and Molly - CRAZY! I'm so mad that I didn't take pictures!! But I know we'll be getting together again some time so I'll take pictures next time!

I hope we helped them some with dealing with the new diagnosis. A year ago - we were them - just getting the news and all the sadness, devastation, and fear that comes along with the diagnosis. Its just good to meet other people that can relate - and that we can have as an additional support system.

Well - that's all for now!

1 comment:

Paula said...

I am so happy met another angel...that is hard to do. Encouragement is always needed for sure.

I think both were ROCK stars!